What is Myofascial Release (John F. Barnes approach)?
Myofascial release, using the John F. Barnes approach, is a gentle, hands-on, whole body treatment which addresses the cause of your problem, not just your symptoms. John F. Barnes (JFB) is an American physiotherapist who developed this way of working with the body’s connective tissue, which is known as the fascia. The fascia is a tough connective tissue which spreads throughout the entire body in a 3-dimensional web, much like a knitted bodysuit. It surrounds every structure and system in the body, as well as being part of every cell and fibre. When the fascia becomes restricted from injury, trauma, surgery, physical or emotional stress, it solidifies and tightens, creating a crushing pressure on muscles, nerves and the circulatory system which causes pain and dysfunction. JFB Myofascial Release works to gently release these restrictions, restoring movement, balance and freedom.
What Can I Expect During Treatment?
After an initial assessment, you will be treated using hands-on techniques that work to gently release fascial restrictions throughout the body. Through palpation and seeing how your body moves, areas of tightness will be identified, and skillful treatment applied to affected areas. As the fascia is a whole body system, treatment with Myofascial Release aims to have a positive impact on the entire body. During treatment you may experience the advanced therapeutic movement aspect of Myofascial Release known as Myofascial Unwinding. This utilises the body’s inherent wisdom and allows for deep, and effective releases of old, restrictive patterns held within the connective tissue system. Through a combination of Myofascial Release and Myofascial Unwinding, long lasting relief and positive change can be experienced. Where appropriate, you will also be taught various self treatment methods so that you are able to continue the progress made during treatment between sessions.
What Do I Wear For Treatment?
Myofascial release is most effective when applied directly on the skin. Ladies, please wear sports bra and shorts, or underwear you are comfortable in. Guys, please wear shorts/boxers. You will be covered by a sheet/blanket as much as possible during treatment.
What Can I Expect After Treatment?
• You are likely to feel immediate relief from your symptoms and an improvement in functioning
• You are likely to feel very relaxed. People often describe a feeling of ‘lightness’
• Very occasionally, a treatment can set off a ‘healing response’ where symptoms may increase for a day or two before settling into new, healthier patterns(this is normal but if you have any concerns at all, please do not hesitate to contact the therapist)
• It’s important to drink plenty of water after your treatment as the fascia needs rehydrating (part of the fascia is fluid, and it is this part that becomes dehydrated and “stuck”.)
• Keep a note of how you feel physically and emotionally as this will help us at the next session
Cost: £65 for 1 hour treatment
To ask any questions, or to book, please contact Claire directly on 07564 905164 or email firstname.lastname@example.org